Highway Department

Utility Permits

Utility Permits are required when any construction work is done, by any person or organization, in the county right-of-way.  If you are unsure of the location of the right-of-way, please call the department at (812) 655-9394.

You may downloaded and submit the completed applications by e-mail, fax, or in person, to the department during regular business hours (8:30 am - 4:00 pm).  Generally, no fee is required for minor work, along the roadway.  Major work, such as closing a road or open cutting a roadway requires a $150 application fee.  The department will evaluate the application to determine if a fee is required.

In the event of a declared emergency due to a major storm event, utility providers should concentrate on restoring service to their customers.  The department will generally waive the application requirements and fees during these events.  All rules and regulations will still apply.  The utility is required to notify the department, by calling (812) 655-9394, of any work which will have a significant impact on the the roadway or the traveling public, such as road closing, digging in the road, or other activities.

Click here to download the Utility Permit Application.

Contact Us

Highway Department
10255 Randall Ave
Aurora, IN 47001
Get Directions

  • Phone: (812) 655-9394
  • Fax: (812) 655-9424
  • Staff Directory
  • Office Hours:
    Monday - Friday 7:00am - 3:00pm

Topics of Interest